The Nektar Project  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Off Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Nektar Project Forum

Fight Spam! Click Here!

Posting on FB by Roye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Posting on FB by Roye
    Posted: Jul/07/2013 at 10:32
"Hi
For those of you who frequent this facebook page and Progressive ears/The Nektarproject websites..I would like to offer this information to you all regarding Mick Brocketts involvement in the Nektar old catalog years.

Yes Mick was responsible for the most excellent lightshow that accompanied the band throughout the 70's together with the fantastic stagelighting and effects provided by Pete Lango who rarely gets a mention when the question of Nektars stage performance arises.

However, when Nektar were creating music in the studio it was created by the four musicans Derek Moore,Ron Howden,Taff Freeman and myself Roye Albrighton.
Lyrically we all put in and while Mick was in the studio with us anyway he helped cross a few T's and dot a few I's as well helped make a few lines fit.

Ron and I have always supported Mick whenever the question of lightshows arise..however Nektar post 2001 is not a Roye Albrighton band..it is Nektar in whatever form it takes..and will continue to be that way.
I hope this clarifies a little
Roye"

After seeing the aging yellow legal pad sheets that had Mick's changes/corrections on a few songs, as well as contributed concepts for an album. This seems to be another claim to minimize Mick's contribution to the creating process. Many music creations require a collaboration which Mick did participate in as far as I could see. This was more than rearranging or grammatical corrections.

Any comments? Mick? Mo?

MickBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 00:16
There is MUCH that Roye was completely unaware of, however his post had deeper reasons behind it.
I also agree that Pete Lango deserves repeated mentions for his superb stage lighting which enhanced our shows from 1974 onward (We had NO stage lights thru 1973, all stage light came from my projections).
However,  I will "clarify" that many of my lyrical and titling efforts were submitted to the band via Mo... including many components of all six classic albums... excluding the MUSIC, as Roye has correctly stated. 
 i.e., The concept and all the JttCotE titles on side one were mine, including the renaming of Royes' "Robot 13" as "Astronauts' Nightmare", Taffs gorgeous instrumental "Countenance", "The 9 Lifeless Daughters of the Sun and Warp Oversight" (the Stockhausen sequence)... even Dream Nebula was changed from "You & I"... to give "visual" titles which connected the whole story, plus the very idea of doing a "space-opera" was seeded by myself and Mo months before Nektar even existed.. back in the summer of 1969 and again later that October in Langelsheim, just before Roye joined the remnants of Prophecy.
The idea of creating music as a soundtrack to the lightshow was my initial aim... so after tackling outer space as THE perfect abstract backdrop, I decided that the next abstract frontier should be the ocean depths... which was accomplished with Tab. My input on that album was a few titles, like Waves, a few lines within Tab, and Acorn Valley became Porcelain Valley, which finally became Desolation Valley for the 1972 recording.
"Sounds Like This" received my monikers of Mr. H, (instead of Jimi-jam) and Ron's On... however most of the songs on SLT were remakes from the 1970 Boston album which was mostly written before I had influence. Incidentally, Odyssey was the "Prophecy" piece which sparked my interest in doing my visuals with this band from the outset.
  In 1973, we couldn't play "Remember The Future" when we went on tour with Frank Zappa immediately following the RTF studio sessions... because Roye didn't know the words. Mo and I had rewritten so many lyrics on RTF to fit my history of the world theme, that once they had been modified and typed out for the final vocal overdubs, Roye sang them directly from my typed script. He was unaware of the amount of my participation (for many reasons, which we understood at that time).
Actually, I only wrote three complete Nektar song lyrics... "Early Morning Clown" (at Chipping Norton) and the "Sao Paulo Sunrise / Costa del Sol" suite on Recycled, but I also spent the first week at the Chateau studio moulding most of the side one lyrics (which was still mostly instrumental with some scat lyrics) into a piece which depicted corporate greed and many other things I had read about in the book "The Limits to Growth". Mo helped me flesh it all out, added his spoken piece and he presented our final draft, again, just prior to the vocal overdubs on the album. Again, Roye was unaware of my input.... he assumed it was all from Mo and that I had merely typed it out. BTW, Marvellous Moses was Mo & Roye and It's All Over was mostly Roye (a premonition?). Recycled was my fourth epic album concept.
So I thank Roye for opening this can of worms... because back then, I was a full band member, so it didn't really matter who put what into which, as it was all for the good of "Nektar"... until Roye suddenly deserted the band in December 1976... after we had just reinvested everything into our succesful live show equipment and relocated to the USA in April 1976.
There are many more details regarding my inputs along with other involvements which I haven't even bothered to mention.. but hey.. it's all moot now anyway, because a percentage of nothing is still nothing... thanks to later mis-management and the sidetracking away from Eclectic/Bellaphon. 
  I still wait for the day that I might finally see a small stipend from our investment from 4 decades ago, while patiently watching every Nektar move. Actually, it would have been a decent gesture to at least send copies of the latest re-re-remasters to all the members who were involved, as the Eclectic remastering was STILL copywritten by the original classic "Nektar" members.... which meant far more than just the band name... to us, Nektar was not only a complete audio/visual concept of which Roye, Mo, Ron, Taff AND myself were the main components... it also meant that the proceeds from classic compositions "by Nektar" were eventually to be distributed fairly between the FIVE members who created them. 
If I could afford to add live visuals to the present Nektar, I certainly would ... as I think they are stronger than ever musically... and they really deserve some great visuals to retain our original Nektar concept, however, as Mo, Taff and myself haven't seen any attempts to distribute the residuals from any re-issued classic catalog releases beyond the new band......  it is very unlikely... especially following the latest liner notes, comments and interviews which attempt to bias our early Nektar history together.
I hope that clarifies a few more things.
Mick.
N.B. By all means post this elsewhere... as these truths would eventually surface anyway.
Judy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 11:50
I think that RA would be more convinced if Mo would corroborate this publicly. Understandably you are not looking for anything more than the appropriate recognition of your input to the creative process.

MickBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2013 at 18:34
Roye has since retracted his original facebook post, however I'm leaving my rebuttal to stand as a record because certain parties have changed our original album publishing credits which said written by "Nektar" (This credit purposely included myself as a participant and that is how it appeared on all our original vinyl & cassette releases). The credits now read compositions by "Albrighton, Moore, Howden & Freeman" etc....  which excludes my name regarding the compositions or involvement in the development of any of those same classic albums. It has also come to my attention that very recent liner notes (JttCotE) have a few wrong  facts or dates, while they again completely eliminate any mention of my name regarding my influences in the creation or direction of our classic albums.  These ommissions on recent re-issues of our early catalog and their liner notes are self-serving and purposeful for those presently involved with the band, as they are the only people who would benefit from any of this. Those of us not presently in the band are seeing nothing from the recent re-issues of our classic albums.... so this isn't just about me!
Meanwhile, think about the change in Nektars' direction from the 1970 Boston Tapes (=SLT) to JttCotE and Tab in '71 & '72, because that's when I teamed with Mo to plot a new course.  
So this is about my input in all these areas (not about the residuals, 'cos they're gone anyway!)
I joined Nektar and was elected as the fifth member for more reasons than just my light show.
Mo has assured me that he will support all my statements (and more) with written proof, as he still has many of our early lyrical transcripts in my handwriting, meanwhile I have many others in my archive.... all prove how the words, lines and verses were formed into our final product.
In the end, "Nektar" (as a publishing credit) DID mean more than just a name... it meant FIVE people!
.... and let us not forget that Larry Fast was quite involved in the making of Recycled too,
so maybe now is the time to right a few wrongs, before this publishing situation (of our classic catalog from 1970-76 and all their subsequent remastered releases) goes any further.
A final piece of trivia, .... An early working title of Recycled was "New Hi-rizons"(sic).. a play on Hi-Rise buildings and ivory towers etc. .... but during the creative writing process, as the music and theme developed further, we ALL decided upon "Recycled", as it pretty much covered everything. 

BTW, The Zappa Tour was "Yurrip '73" and WAS immediately after our RTF sessions, not during the Tab sessions as somebody mistakenly quoted in the latest JttCotE liner notes.
I was there too... plus I still have all of my diaries, which also confirm what we all did from 69-77.
Mick.
Mochester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 20:59

Although I do not have a lot of time right now because of my work, I feel I have to jump in here because I see revisionist history being attempted.

Mick was a full fifth member of the band. Bellaphon did not want him to be on the writing credits because there was no precedent. That is why the compositions were labeled as "Nektar"

Mick brought a lot of "out there" ideas to the band. He was with us 24/7. Album titles have his fingerprints all over them. He and I would take Royes scat lyrics and mold them into songs. Mick and I would each write parts and massage it into what came out in the end as a song that made sense and told a story. This was mainly between Mick and myself - we would go off and put it together using Royes scat lyrics as a base. (And a good base it was) The whole idea of "take a trip back in time" was Micks. Not all of the lyrics were his on this part but a lot of them, certainly the theme. I kept all of the original lyrics from scat to completion as it always interested me as to how it came together, how we wrote.

Mick came by today to pick up the boxes of Nektar "stuff" that Daniel, Waynes son, sent us. Daniel is helping us keep his father alive with his life project and we welcome him into the fold.

I showed Mick the lyrics I have kept all these years and we reminisced and refreshed our memories....they were great times. When I have the time I will scan them and put them on the site

Way back, before Nektar, Mick and I were talking about space opera and musical pieces integrating with a light story. This became Nektar. I cant imagine the band being as big as it was without the light show.....Music and Light Theater is what drove it

The Nektar site, thenektarproject.com is now owned and operated by Mick and I, will continue as long as I can keep it alive. We have all of Waynes tapes and CD’s and will be sifting through it in the next year. There is a LOT of it

We had something quite unique.....a Nektar family. Pete (creative lights and stage ideas) Paul (sound and electrical) Vinnie (sound), Tommi (stage and the guy who shut off the power by accident on Live in NY) Rab (crew and Micks assistant) were the main nucleus of the family. We lived together, we played together and our crew were very much part of our "live" happening also Michael was with us for touring. I had a Nektar Management office with Muck and Jochen and Gisela my ex wife. The whole family was involved in our dream. You only have to look inside Down to Earth and the whole family was in the inside cover. To say it wasn’t so is revisionist history and does not take away from what was

As much as Roye and I don’t seem to see eye to eye today, I have to say the time he and I spent, creating the Nektar albums with Mick Taff and Ron were some of the best times in my life. I look on this time fondly and as "father" of the band will not let it be construed otherwise. At some point there will be a book. We have been threatening to do it for years but it is no where near done. They were such special times

I love you all dearly
July 17th 2013 Mo’s 2 cents
Recycled Energy...yea, I'll have some of that....
Mochester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 21:02

Oh I almost forgot Kenny our American contingent

Recycled Energy...yea, I'll have some of that....
Judy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 21:43
Mick and Mo,
Appreciate the clarification by both of you. Obviously the formula all of you concocted worked very well.
Marvellous Moses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvellous Moses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 17:54
I am an outsider, not part of the family, but to someone who is an outsider, this is how it looks to me: You guys really were a family, but as families sometimes do, you spend too much time bickering over things. This is because you are human beings, and as such sometimes people do or say the wrong things. This can't be helped, and sometimes it's better to just forget past mistakes. I think deep down somewhere you still love each other, and are proud of what you created together. Also, someone once said that families should not go into business together, and I think that the business end of things sometimes screws up the creative end. I wish that when I saw Nektar this year that Mick and Mo could have been there contributing to the proceedings- that would have been fantastic! Maybe someday that could still happen? well probably not I guess, but I really wish you guys could all put the b.s. aside and work with each other again with no hard feelings. But what do I know? Nothing. Maybe the spaces between you have gotten too wide, and if that is the case, it really is a shame.
Clean The Scene
Change Machines
richiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 21:27
Thanks Mo for "once again" taking time out of your schedule to address this issue. Seems like every year you have to defend Micks involvement and contributions to the band when we ALL know he devoted more time and energy than 2/3 people combined. AND not getting the credit he deserves. I say at the beginning of every year repost that statement/reply on the main page and be done with it.Stop the revisionists in their tracks.  and have a Happy New Year!!!!    RT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic